Thursday, October 25, 2007

30 Days of Vampires Doing Nothing

by Scott Pospishil

Super fast, Super strong, Super senses.... No, I am not describing Superman, I'm describing the ridiculous lot of 40+ vampires that couldn't catch 7 mere mortals over 30 days...

I will give you some good things about this movie: the vampires were pretty cool (despite their ridiculously loud screeching noises and their philosphical ways), it was a cool concept, and I did jump a few times. However, overall, the stupid moves by the humans and the convienient absence of the vampires super powers at just the right time made this a "wait for the dvd" movie...

Now, I have never read the graphic novel that the movie was based on but I just want to point out a few head scratchers that came to mind during this movie. First, the vampires came to this town via a ship. Vampires living on a ship... What's the deal with that? What do they do for food the rest of the year? Alright, now to the meat of the movie. There are 2 points in this movie where all of a sudden a week or two goes by just like that, one time where the survivors were huddled in an attic for the time. A.) What the hell were the vampires doing for these periods of time? I personally think that they had a couple hardcore poker games going on and the rest of the time they were busy making snow angels and B.) Why is it that when they go back to the characters, they havent changed one bit besides a little more facial hair? Sure they look like they have been away for a month but im pretty sure they were acting the same way from the start of this movie to the end. If I was stuck in an attic for 2 weeks I'm pretty sure I would get a little cranky or something. There were many more little things to pick at during this movie but the last issue I had was the forced romance between the two main characters. Seriously they picked the worst times to start telling each other how they feel. Stella Oleson (Melissa George) is trapped underneath a truck with vampires walking all around her and husband, or ex-husband, they dont make it too clear, Eben Oleson (Josh Hartnett) is talking to her through a walkie talkie, which can get loud (and remember these vampires have super senses). Anyway, they start to have a conversation about their relationship... REALLY? What about all that free time you had while the vampires were busy playing halo 3 during the weeks in between the movie? This I cannot understand...

Overall, the movie was bearable. I did enjoy watching the vampires do their buisness throughout the town(killing mass amounts of people). Also, like I said I did jump a few times which always makes the movie experience a little better. I gave this movie a C... but I wouldnt waste your $10...

My Grade: C

No comments: